As we wrap up the day and begin preparations for Thanksgiving celebrations across the city, I wanted to share with you some of the things I am thankful for this year. It's my Thanksgiving Top 10:
1) I am thankful for the honor to serve as your Mayor. These last 4 months have been an incredible experience as we have worked to strengthen our education system, create a stronger local economy, and stay fiscally prudent. We've laid the groundwork for a successful year and I could not be more grateful for your support.
2) I am thankful for all of the men and women of our armed forces who are honorably serving our country abroad during this holiday season. They won't be spending the holidays with family or at home. Their bravery and sacrifice should be honored this Thanksgiving, and every day of the year.
3) I am thankful for all of our city employees who work so hard to ensure that our city is safe, clean and a great place to live. Thank you to the workers who are cleaning our streets, helping our kids in our libraries, protecting our neighborhoods, and fixing our roads. They work hard every day for a better Long Beach.
4) I am thankful for our communities of faith and our local public agencies that work to serve those in our community that need our help. Our local churches and non-profits take care of our sick, our poor, the homeless, the elderly, and families who need our love and support. They do incredible work every day and I am so thankful that we have so many wonderful and kind people in our city.
5) I am thankful for apple pie -- it's the best dessert ever.
6) I am thankful to all the businesses large and small who call Long Beach home. Our businesses provide local jobs, and the goods and services we need as a community. They keep our economy strong, and I am especially thankful for the small mom and pop business owners who take a risk every day to fulfill their dreams and provide for us and their families.
7) I am thankful for teachers because they are awesome.
8) I am thankful to the new Long Beach City Council and our citywide elected officials for working together, getting along, and making innovation a priority. Thank you Charlie, Doug, Laura, Lena, Suja, Suzie, Patrick, Stacy, Dee, Roberto, Al, and Rex.
9) I am thankful for my family, friends, and my partner Matt for their complete support and love.
10) And I am most thankful this year for all of you - thank you for caring and making our city great!
Go Long Beach!